Experts Pool: Senior Railway SpecialistRecruiter: Asian Development Bank
Type: Fixed Term
In line with ADB’s Sustainable Transport Initiative, ADB is expanding its railway financing operations in developing member countries (DMCs). To support this work, it wishes to recruit a leading technical expert from the railways industry who will assist ADB multidisciplinary teams in preparation of 2-3 railway investment projects per annum for a period of 3 years. The expert will (i) assist operations departments (ODs) to develop and implement expanded pipelines of railways lending and non-lending operations, including new rail links and expanding the capacity and efficiency of existing railways; (ii) introduce new and innovative forms of railways operations for ADB-financing; (iii) assist cross-border railways development as part of ADB subregional cooperation programs; and (iv) prepare, obtain and share knowledge on advanced railways technologies and best practices in railways management and commercialization. The expert will be expected to regularly prepare written technical and other reports required to formulate initial concept-level project proposals, determine technical scope and feasibility of investments, consider project management, procurement and other implementation arrangements, and identify policy and institutional issues and propose realistic steps for addressing these. The expert will work within general policies, principles and goals, interacting directly with clients.
- Supervisor: Technical Advisor (Transport), SDSC
- The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent:
- Administrative Staff
- National Staff
Master’s Degree, or equivalent, in Railway Engineering, Railway Operations and Planning, Railway Management or relevant fields. University degree in Railway Engineering, Railway Operations and Planning, Railway Management or relevant fields, combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
• At least 10 years of relevant experience in the railway field at senior technical or management level, preferably working for railways operators, regulators or railway consulting firms
• Experience in preparing written technical and other reports (including at short notice and under mission travel conditions) on railway project concepts, technical scope and feasibility, project implementation arrangements, and policy and institutional change proposals
• Also having experience of railway mass transit will be an advantage
• International experience working in several countries preferred. Specialized professional experience in the field of railways operations, management, or consulting will be considered in lieu of multiple country experience.
• Proven technical expertise in the development, planning and operation of railways in developing countries
• Able to utilize and share relevant knowledge to benefit the broader ADB community and DMCs, including to support the expansion of ADB’s railways operations in DMCs
People and leadership skills
• When required, able to act as a mission/team leader, exercising supervision coordination, and planning responsibilities over the assigned team, with oversight from the Technical Advisor, Director or a more senior team leader
• Act as a mentor to more junior team members, providing guidance on projects and processing and implementation of loans/technical assistance
• Act as a coach to develop the capabilities/potential of more junior colleagues
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
Deadline for applications is on 4 May 2017.
We encourage diversity in our workforce and support an inclusive and respectful work environment. Women are encouraged to apply.
Applications received in response to previous posting will be considered together with applications received in response to this advertisement. Previous applicants need not apply.
The vision of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) is a region free of poverty. Established in 1966 and based in Manila, Philippines, ADB’s multicultural staff come from about 67 members. ADB offers a competitive salary and benefits package. While the position advertised is for the ADB headquarters, staff must be prepared to serve in any location outside Manila, Philippines at the discretion of Management. Applicants must be nationals of one of ADB's member countries.