Professional Head of Control, Command and CommunicationRecruiter: RSSB
Salary: Competitive with excellent benefits
RSSB is an expert body that helps the rail industry collaborate to continuously improve and meet future challenges. It spans the whole railway, including in its membership infrastructure companies, train and freight operators, rolling stock owners and suppliers to the industry. RSSB supports rail in the areas of safety, standards, knowledge, innovation and a wide range of cross-industry schemes.
We are looking for a dynamic senior signalling, telecommunications or systems engineer to lead our forward-thinking Control Command and Communications (CCC) team. As the Professional Head of CCC you will be accountable for the development of the strategic direction and the delivery of CCC-related Railway Group Standards, Rail Industry Standards and other publications, including standards produced by other organisations. Leading and managing a small team of CCC experts, you will work with colleagues across RSSB, supporting delivery of a range of products and services.
Using your experience, knowledge and excellent communication skills you will be able to understand and explain complex technical detail, clearly and concisely, to non-technical audiences. You will help shape a portfolio of work, putting the needs of RSSB members at the forefront, and will be accountable for the delivery of this work. You will have the opportunity to have an influential role on industry committees and will support RSSB and its members in shaping the standards landscape in a post-Brexit era.
- A Chartered Engineer with significant managerial experience in the railway industry and broad experience in signalling, telecommunications and/or systems engineering.
- A comprehensive understanding of control, command & communications, technologies, principles and practices and how system requirements, rationale and guidance can be used to support stakeholder decisions.
- Good knowledge of the legal and regulatory framework in which RSSB operates, includingg the Railways Interoperability Directive, Technical Specification for Interoperability for Control Command and Signalling, the Railways and Other Guided Transport Systems (Safety) Regulations and the Railway Group Standards Code and Standards Manual.
- A Member of the Institution of Railway Signal Engineers and a member of Institution of Engineering and Technology, working towards being a Fellow of each.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent relevant experience.
- Excellent communication skills including strong presentation skills.
- The ability to understand technical documents.
- Excellent facilitation skills and the ability to influence and negotiate with senior stakeholders including technical committees at all levels to explain the results of work, support their understanding and inform their decision.
- Good analytical skills with the ability to assimilate information and abstract idea.
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders.
How to apply